By Mashal Riaz
Shrek was a major part of our childhood. We grew up watching the movie over and over again until we had memorized the “Welcome to Duloc” song by heart. It is, without a shred of doubt, one of the greatest animated movies of all time. While the movie is a parody of old folktales, it keeps the audience of all ages engaged through annoying yet funny jokes.
Come to think of it, it came out 17 years ago like, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Here’s why Shrek is absolute love, Shrek is life:
1. The soundtracks are *gasps* beyond amazing. The movie starting off with “SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME THE WORLD IS GONNA ROLL ME” is undoubtedly one of the reasons it was such a hit. Joan Jett, Rugus Wainright, The Proclaimers? You can find songs by all the amazing artists in the movie.
2. The cast is just incredible. It features all of our favorite actors especially Eddie Murphy who killed it with donkey’s role.
3. It is based on an anti-hero theme. It promotes the message that, contrary to movie characters, people in real life are flawed and imperfect and that’s okay because everyone is beautiful in their own way.
4. It teaches you to love yourself despite how you look. While most of our traditional folktales portray the message that goodness equates beauty, Shrek turns this notion around by depicting the ogres as the genuine beauties.
5. It teaches you that you are capable of achieving anything and everything you put your heart into. Donkey finds a way into Shrek’s life and finally his swamp by being consistent. The same happens with Shrek who saves the princess, something no other knight had done before.
6. It has jokes for all ages. While it’s a good watch for children, there are ~subtle~ jokes for adults too to keep them engaged and making it a fun watch for people of all ages.